So, I am going to be honest. I was dreading the holiday so much that it surprised me. I knew why, however. In January alone, I will say four huge good-byes. I’ve already done one, as my sister left for North Carolina after an extended Christmas vacation. It was painful. Let’s leave it at that. In a week and a half, my little sister (who still seems like she’s 5 years old in my head) will be leaving for college for the first time. I don’t know that I’ll handle that well. Then, my twin brother, with whom I am incredibly close, is moving to Miama. Finally, the ultimate blow, my husband deploys for 12 months.
After learning a hard lesson about keeping my eyes on God as people and things leave, I know I must keep my peace and Faith. So, while I am usually not one to make New Year’s resolutions, I am forming some for the next year. It will be vitally important.
- First, I plan on completing several large house projects. In my master bath, I will take down the wall paper border (I hate wall paper border) that is shriveling off my wall and repaint the hideous color. I will also re-do my bedroom colors. When I was a distracted bride-to-be, I chose a dark red and brown…and now my bedroom is oppressive. I am thinking about blue and brown with red accents. I have other projects in the plan.
- I am going to spend lots of time with my sister Kathleen, who will be the last child at home. As we are both going through a time of immense change, I know continuing to work on our already close relationship will be vital for both of us.
- I am going to kick my prayer life into high gear. I have several books recommended by dear friends that I will read and comment on here sporadically.
- I want to crochet something so badly and plan on working on some projects over the next year for Elizabeth and me. I’d also like to make a blanket. I also want to continue trying a variety of baking and cooking recipes. I have derived joy from trying different recipes over the past few months.
- I am going to ensure that I make time for me. I never do that. So, I am going to register for some work-out classes on post, continue to work on forging local friendships, and get better about leaving the house with Elizabeth. (I put off errands and shopping because I am fearful of shopping with her and her melting down. It’s a really bad habit.)
- Finally, I am going to keep and update of all of this on here. I plan on writing more, with more focus and really use this to further root a life and attitude of peace and Faith.
Here’s to hoping this makes 2011 a….better, happier year. Even though I’ll not have my best friend at my side, he’ll still be a part of our lives. And I have to keep making that life not just good, but better for him, for our daughter, and for me.